Saturday, December 03, 2022

Saturday of the First Week of Advent

Go rather to the lost sheep of the House of Israel. And as you go, proclaim that the kingdom of heaven is close at hand. Cure the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, cast out devils. You received without charge, give without charge.

This commissioning charge by Jesus to the Twelve is one that applies to every one of us who is a believer and lover of Christ. Who are the lost sheep in our own home or in our daily proximity and are we actively reaching out to them? Do my words and actions mark me as a loving, forgiving and generous person? Do I give of myself willingly and cheerfully? Do I share all I have received from the Lord in terms of material wealth and abilities with those who are especially in need? Am I grateful for the Lord’s daily gifts to me and do I, likewise, bless others? 


It all sounds very challenging and tiring work, being a follower of Jesus. It is. My secret weapon is to rely completely on Him. As Isaiah put it: He will send rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the bread that the ground provides will be rich and nourishing.


Thank you, Lord, for the gifts I will receive from you today. Please show me how I can go after the lost sheep and proclaim your kingdom today.

No comments: