Wednesday, December 07, 2022

Wednesday of the 2nd Week of Advent

Shoulder my yoke and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Yes, my yoke is easy and my burden light.

Most of us like to go it alone in life thinking independence is a good thing. It is. However, if it is pride that motivates our independence, then we may start to think of ourselves as gods, not needing Jesus in our lives, and not recognizing the authority of the Father. We may grow arrogant and above ourselves, treating others as our inferiors. Thus, Jesus reminds us the lesson we need to learn from Him is how to be gentle and humble in heart. Utter reliance on someone is counterintuitive for most of us, but as Christians, this is what we are invited to do, to trust and to rely on Jesus completely. If we do what He tells us, we may actually find the yokes in our lives to be easy and our burdens light. That is not to say we will never face difficult situations, but it does means that faith can move mountains. We will be inspired to carry on, we have hope for a better day, and we will have the peace of knowing that He will guide us out of the darkest valleys.

Please teach me how to shoulder your yoke, Lord, with a lightness of heart, that I may rest easy in my soul.  

 

No comments: