Saturday, December 24, 2022

Christmas Eve

And you, little child,

you shall be called Prophet of the Most High,

for you will go before the Lord

to prepare the way for him,

to give his people knowledge of salvation

through the forgiveness of their sins;

this by the tender mercy of our God

who from on high will bring the rising Sun to visit us,

to give light to those who live

in darkness and the shadow of death

and to guide our feet

into the way of peace.


The Benedictus, or the Song of Zechariah, is such a beautiful prayer of thanksgiving, an acknowledgment of what the Lord has done, not just for Zechariah, but for us, and to bless Him for His greatness. This second half of this canticle tells us of the role of the Christ child; it speaks of the great love of Father God, and what He desires for us. No more darkness, only peace, and the freedom of forgiveness. 


It has been a little challenging these past few days with two people in my household down with COVID, and me as caregiver (taking care of meals and making infusions to ease the coughs and sore throats). It will also mean a very quiet Christmas for I have cancelled all my social engagements, in anticipation of finally getting it myself. At the same time, I am glad I have this time to slow down, and reflect, to give my full attention to Baby Jesus, Mother Mary and Joseph.  


Thank you for coming, dear Baby J and:


Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel for he has visited his people, he has come to their rescue

and he has raised up for us a power for salvation

Amen.

No comments: