Thursday, March 25, 2021

Lenten Reflection Day 37

Mary said, “Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word.”  Luke 1:38


The Solemnity of the Annunciation of the Lord is one of our most important feast days for it was at this encounter between the angel Gabriel and Mother Mary that she conceived, and thus the incarnation of Christ happened, right within her womb. Reflecting on the mystery of the Annunciation never ceases to amaze me and to inspire me. This sincere and humble yes of a young girl to the announcement of an angel after one simple clarification changed the course of history around the world. 


The incisive insight Mary had, that what she was hearing was an actual message from God, and the firm, swift faith with which she made her decision speaks volumes of who she was, a young woman who clearly loved God with all her heart, with all her soul, with all her strength and with all her mind (Luke 10:27). In Mary we find an exemplar of living faith and great love, someone to be much admired and emulated.


I have heard countless stories of people who returned to the Lord because of Mother Mary. She has always been a kindly presence in my life especially when I stayed away from Jesus. And she is certainly instrumental in the deepening of my faith for I have found a more intimate relationship with her son Jesus because of my devotion to her. I consecrated myself to her in 2016 and have found, through Mary an extremely enriching consecration to Jesus himself. 


We would do well to always heed her advice regarding her son in John 2:5 - Do whatever He tells you.


No comments: