Wednesday, March 03, 2021

Lenten Reflection Day 15

the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.  Matthew 20:28


Today’s readings remind us that it is not easy being a follower of Christ. Jesus may be a king, but He is not typical of what we think of as king. Despite His royal lineage, He was born in a manger, grew up in a tiny village where He was the carpenter’s son. 


When He began His public ministry, His three-year “reign”, He worked tirelessly among the common people, brought healing to the outcasts and the marginalized, and preached to thousands of people who needed Him to provide food to fill their empty stomachs as well. He reached out especially to sinners, people scorned not just by the Pharisees and scribes, but even decent folk. 


Jesus challenged the social order of His time with everything He did, gaining such popularity that those in position felt threatened and plotted his downfall. He was arrested, falsely accused, scourged, then crucified like a criminal. He did all this to save us. If we follow Him, we can expect the same. We serve with love, and then we keep on serving. Do not expect to be rewarded. What’s more, be prepared to be persecuted.  


So why be a follower? Because the love I have experienced from Him is like nothing else on earth. It is boundless and deep as the ocean, it is heartwarming, healing and transformative... I wake up every new day grateful, and go about my day with expectant faith. I love myself, and I love my life just because He loves me. As a child of God, I know He is with me in Spirit and He will always be there for me, no matter what happens. How could I not follow Him? 


No comments: