Monday, March 01, 2021

Lenten Reflection Day 13

For the measure with which you measure will in return be measured out to you.”  Luke 6:38

We are all sinners without exception. The quicker I recognize this, the better able I will be to do something constructive about it because I am often my worst critic and judge. Here Jesus reminds me to be merciful, to stop judging, to stop condemning, and to forgive, myself especially. Only by doing so can I truly start giving a good measure, and receiving in similar fashion. 


Remember the woman in chapter 7 of Luke’s gospel? The one who had sinned much and who was consequently forgiven much and therefore loved more - giving in good measure? She was forgiven much because she repented much. If I repent like she did, no matter how heinous or plentiful my sins are, I will be forgiven. 


Jesus is encouraging me to stop dwelling on my own sins such that I remain stuck in either misery or denial, but to progress to a place of honest repentance so that I can be open to His forgiveness and love, his mercy. And when that happens, I will receive such an ocean of love from Him that it will overflow through me to others. I will not be able to help myself but to love and give generously, emulating Him. And, this is the best part, it will earn me even more graces, for all the good I do will always rebound on me.


So rather than focus on my shortcomings, my weaknesses, my sins, I will repent by placing all of it at His feet, begging for forgiveness. This will then free me to love myself as He loves me, and to love others as He loves them. So I can pay forward the love to eventually see it return full circle to me. How beautifully symmetrical and complete is that? 




No comments: