Sunday, February 28, 2021

Lenten Reflection Day 12

He who did not spare his own Son but handed him over for us all, how will he not also give us everything else along with him? Romans 8:32


Jesus is our gift, a gift we clearly do not deserve, for we threw Him away, and we do it to some extent every day. Why would God give us His beloved son, knowing we would spurn His gesture and murder His son? It is because He created us out of love, for love. His love for us, his creatures, runs deep, and He keeps pulling out all the stops in order to save us. The point is why do we not believe in His love? 


Every time I sin, it is a rejection of this incredibly generous and tender love. Every time I trust in my own abilities I reject the awesome future He has planned for me. Every time I get fearful and anxious, I display an utter lack of trust in someone who wants only good things for me and delivers them consistently right into my hands. 


Sure, life isn’t hunky dory all the time, expect it not to be.Yes, believing in Him does not mean I won’t suffer persecution, disaster, loss and sorrow. So life isn’t fair, but there is something to be said for an enduring and absolute faith. Abraham’s willingness to sacrifice his son Isaac won him multiple blessings that impacted not just himself, but his descendants, even making him a founder of a nation. My faith could potentially bless all whom I love, even those they come into contact with, and over time, through the generations. Talk about a ripple effect that spreads not just outwards but through infinity.


How can I not love someone who never stops thinking about me and who always wants to give me abundance unimaginable? The invitation today, and every day, is to allow His love to transfigure me in such a way that beloved, I receive fully all He desires to give me, all the blessings, and I, in turn, can bless others in a manner that brings the Father to them, giving them everything He wishes to give.


May I always allow myself to be transfigured by His love by saying yes to the Father's gift of Jesus filled with the Holy Spirit. 




No comments: