Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Lenten Reflection Day 8

At the judgment the men of Nineveh will arise with this generation and condemn it, because at the preaching of Jonah they repented, and there is something greater than Jonah here.” Luke 12:32

Today’s readings recall strongly the parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector in Luke 18:9-14. The wicked Ninevites repented fairly quickly and sincerely when they heard the prophet Jonah’s message from God which was imminent destruction for their wickedness. They were conscious of their sins and knew they required God’s mercy to be saved, much like the tax collector in the parable. Because of their humble contrition, they were saved. 


Ironically, the people during Jesus’ time refused to believe Him, even when they witnessed firsthand the many miracles He wrought. Worse, they attributed His healings to demons. They are like the Pharisee in the parable who thought themselves saved through their own righteousness. Out of pride, they could not see their own sins and therefore repent. They scorned the carpenter’s son and closed their minds to seeing “something greater than Jonah here”, the Son of God Himself. They were so blind they could not see that they themselves were breaking their beloved law when they plotted His murder.

Am I the tax collector or the Pharisee in my walk with Jesus? Do I always see my own sin before me and make an effort to ask for forgiveness and correct myself, or do I tell myself I am okay, I am much better than all those sinners out there for I don’t commit obvious crimes, and besides, no one knows if I “sin” a little now and then. Little sins, like little white lies, don’t count anyway. 


It is so easy to rationalize my own actions and dull my own conscience; so easy to be one of the evil generation. Maybe it’s time to fess up and bring all my little sins, all my dark secrets to the light this Lent. For I know the Lord is gracious and merciful and all I have to do is return to Him with my whole heart to be saved. But no procrastination, in case I may be too late.

No comments: