Monday, February 22, 2021

Lenten Reflection Day 6

And when the chief Shepherd is revealed, you will receive the unfading crown of glory. 1 Peter 4

Today is the Feast of the Chair of Saint Peter, rough fisherman turned first pope of the Roman Catholic Church. I identify very much with Saint Peter in his early days when he was a diamond in the rough. His heart was in the right place but his words and actions were less than impressive. He would say the wrong thing, his courage would fail him and he would run away and desert the Lord at the crucial moment. 

However, even when his weak faith failed him, it also led him to repent, weeping bitterly in remorse, and to ultimately come back to the resurrected Lord with a faith that led to his eventual crucifixion. He grew into his mission which Jesus pronounced in today’s gospel (Mathew 16:13-19) that Peter would be the rock that Lord would build his church upon. 


If I were Peter, I would have been terrified to hear those words. And yet, I also know when I say yes to being His stone, rock being perhaps a tad too lofty for me, I will have help. He will send the Holy Spirit to aid me as He did for Peter at the first Pentecost. When I say yes to being His hands and feet, His voice, Jesus will supply everything else. So what do I have to fear? Even when I stumble, He will be there to pick me up. I just have to be like Peter and allow myself to be schooled by the Spirit of God.


Like Peter, all of us are called to be shepherds. We must do as the chief Shepherd did - helping others find their way, protecting them from danger, leading them to green pastures and restful waters so their spiritual tummies are filled, and attending to them when they are hurt. It is a full-time job,and often back-breaking and thankless, but I do so look forward to hearing Jesus praise me good and faithful servant, that would be my crown of unfading glory.

No comments: