Friday, February 26, 2021

Lenten Reflection Day 10

 I tell you, unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter into the Kingdom of heaven.  Matthew 5:20

Keeping the law, whether civil or spiritual, is all well and good. As upright citizens we want to do what is right and good in order to contribute to a society that is stable and thriving. However, as Christians, we still may not make it to heaven as Jesus warns his disciples. What is needed is a constant and deep conversion of heart that drives us to act by going  beyond the law to fulfilling the law of love Jesus Himself embodied. 


What is written in my heart is more important. Am I motivated by love of God in every good deed that I do, or is it a bid to win affirmation, maybe manipulate others, and create an opportunity to boast of my good deeds? 


The example Jesus gives here is even more demanding. Anger and unforgiveness is as good as murder He preaches. If I refuse to reconcile with my brother, even if my brother is at fault, then no matter what I do, all my good deeds in life, they all count for nothing. 


Every single day repentance is needed, just so that I can make for myself a new heart and spirit. Only then will I never veer off the path of virtue Jesus has forged, slipping much too easily onto the road to perdition. It al seems so difficult. It is. And yet, at the same time, it is worth it. In keeping His ways I have found much happiness, great inner peace and a sense of well-being and deep satisfaction for I have found the Kingdom of heaven here on earth. Now I just need to continue to seek His Kingdom until I reach it beyond my deathbed. 


Lord, please grant me the grace of a humbled, contrite heart each day. 

No comments: