Wednesday, February 01, 2017

Desire for prosperity

It feels slightly strange to celebrate the Lunar New Year in a new home so the constant of the food tasting the same is very comforting to me. By replicating the tastes and smells of my childhood, I can bring alive memories of New Years past, and the presence of loved ones no longer here. So I still insist on cooking the dishes I grew up eating even though they require a lot of prep work and seem too much trouble at times.

LNY is the time of year that I miss my Father and Grandmother the most for the traditions of the season were most honoured by them, traditions that speak of family unity, filial piety and new beginnings. The Lunar New Year is about harmony, hope, rebirth, and second chances; it is about celebrating life. Although there was tremendous joy in gathering around the dining table with familiar faces of family and friends, together with P, to eat, drink, chat and laugh, there was a wistfulness, a sense of longing within me for things to stay the same, especially because my universe has changed so much and I am struggling to finding an inner equilibrium with the added roles I have taken on.

I also felt sad this year for the first day happened to fall on J's birthday. I remember taking him to lunch just last year, and now he is no longer with us. While I grieve the loss still, I managed to give thanks to God for having known and loved J for 48 wonderful years. They were blessed years filled with lots of shared laughter and tears, plus, I know we will meet again, so that is the promise I hold on to tightly.

The usual thing we wish people during this time of year is prosperity in the new year. I was reflecting on what prosperity means for me for I have learnt that true wealth lies in nurturing meaningful relationships and exercising my ability to help others. I do not want for anything, especially since in recent months my life has been enriched by a caring and sweet man.

I can only think to ask the Lord for great wealth in being poor in spirit this Lunar New Year, for a complete and sustained dependency on Him for everything is the only way I can be a good wife to P, a filial daughter to the Father, as well as a gift to family, friends and others, without losing my mojo, and my very own precious identity. 

No comments: