Sunday, April 23, 2017

Divine Mercy victories

Today is Divine Mercy Sunday. It is also the Easter Octave. Little did I know when I made an appointment to meet up with P last Divine Mercy Sunday that slightly over a year later we would be happily married. Truly, God's mercy knows no end. It took us both almost a lifetime to find each other, but it is definitely worth the wait.

Although I had always wondered why it was revealed to me the marriage, and motherhood, was my vocation over a decade ago, I also knew that I was probably not ready for the real thing, and so nothing happened. I had also come to the conclusion that if it never came to pass, it was perfectly okay. I was happy.

Jesus was 'all the man that I need' as Whitney Houston crooned. I crucified my desires for a life partner on the cross and resurrection came in the form of my ICPE Companions community, my Woman to Woman Ministry, my Saint Teresa's community, my work, my friends, and all the opportunities to fine-tune a heart set on Jesus as my eternal Bridegroom. It was more than enough. Then P came along, twelve and a half years later, thanks to Divine Mercy.

My reflection this Easter is how much marriage mirrors both the Passion and Easter - the rites of crucifixion, death and resurrection. Unless we crucify our sins and our selfish inclinations for self-serving happiness, unless we die to self, crippling habits and set ways of doing things, we cannot be open to the Spirit leading us into fully experiencing the joy and satisfaction of building a relationship that best mimics the penultimate, desirable relationship with God.

Marriage is the icon of our eternal and blissful nuptial union with Jesus in the afterlife. Marriage points us to heaven. I am greedy, I want to experience marriage with Jesus in the here and now. This desire forms the basis of my marriage with P. I therefore attempt to live out crucifixion, death and resurrection every day. I willingly accept 'suffering', by killing off my own ego and my fears, and I stay optimistically open to divine resurrection that breathes new life and form into my days. I can remain hopeful because I know exactly how much He loves me for He has demonstrated His love countless times before, and continues to do so on a daily basis.

Radical change so late in life is not easy but, again, Divine Mercy plays a huge part in making the transition from single to married seem fairly effortless and painless. I am grateful for all the help I have received to be able to 'see' what my human mind cannot see, and to 'know' what to do, especially when I experience hurt and anger, or when I really do not know what to do.

Last night, I attended a concert by the DVC Youth Choir from the Church of Saint Ignatius called Victory Stories. Apart from being highly enjoyable, it was inspiring to see how God has worked miracles in the lives of these young people, and that each victory story was one that testified to the Lord's bountiful mercy. When we seek Him with sincere hearts, He does not disappoint, even if it may take time.

My take away this Easter is to continue to trust and to hope, and as my Easter egg 'fortune' (Romans 12:12) reminded me: Rejoice in your hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.

Seeing as this Word was given to me before marriage several times, and once again last night, I will receive this Easter gift with a joyous and grateful heart. Thank you, Jesus, for your Divine Mercy. You reign victorious!

No comments: