Friday, August 16, 2013

Many stories

I actually attended the NDP (National Day Parade) last Friday afternoon and enjoyed it tremendously, queueing and all (it was fun to people-watch and see how the national flag colours of red and white were worn by many).

The theme this year was Many Stories...One Singapore and it highlighted the personal journeys of fellow Singaporeans and how we, collectively, form a society that makes us uniquely Singaporean.

While it was clearly an attempt to tug at the heartstrings and appeal to the younger generation, I loved the schmaltz. It could have been being part of a 26,000-strong crowd, or the fact that the older I get, the more I feel rooted, proud to call Singapore my home, for my heart is entrenched here.

Sure, the place is not perfect, and many complain about the high cost of living and criticize the government for its high-handed ways; or bemoan how singles are often penalized, especially when it comes to affordable housing... but I happen to think that Singaporeans tend to take for granted the many things we receive that would not be ours anywhere else.

Like the relative safety that allows women to walk alone at three a.m., unafraid of being accosted, while children enjoy hours of fun in the playground without adult supervision and at no risk other than that of a scraped knee or elbow.

There is also a sense of security that comes from having a far-sighted and stable government, whose efforts have enabled its citizens to benefit from a developed infrastructure with world-class transport, healthcare and judicial systems.

Then there is the racial and religious harmony. I like that I can practise my faith freely and openly, with no fear of repercussion or discrimination. I really like how my friends of differing religions enhance and deepen my own belief in God.

I am also grateful for the good education I received and my ability to appreciate the humanities both Western and Eastern. In spite of my sucky Mandarin, I love the Chinese classics as much as I do Shakespeare or Dickinson.

And I delight in the melting pot of cultures for the exposure that I received growing up in such an environment has left me socially adept in any cross-cultural setting, not to mention with an adventurous and sophisticated palate that relishes the weird but creative offerings of various ethnic cuisines.

Nothing beats the pungency and richness of Singlish that speaks volumes in a single phrase. Or the extraordinarily good hawker food that hits the shiok spot. Even kiasuism can be a virtue for it makes for boy scout preparedness, handy in times of emergency.

Although I deplore the often humourless and literal bent of civil servants, I have come to expect the clockwork-like efficiency the city hums, night and day.

The clean streets, pristine buildings and luxuriant foliage make Singapore a beautiful, very liveable, concrete jungle.  

Finally there are the people - my family first, friends, then the various communities I weave in and out in my work and social circles; the good, the bad and the ugly. The people I love and dislike the most live on this island.

My deepest losses, my highs, my worst nightmares and realized dreams have been lived here. I have resided in Singapore most of my life and have grown to love the place in all its imperfections and quirks.

Once I desired to get off this island. Now, I see it as home, the country where God has placed me, for His purposes, and where I can be His ears, voice, hands and feet.

A place where I can make a difference by listening to the many stories of the people who live here, and making them part of my story.

No comments: