Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Making crooked paths straight

Today marks the 10th anniversary of my father's passing. Even though a decade has elapsed since the day he departed, it still seems like a recent happening.

His battle with cancer was, for me, a lifetime of learning conflated into eight intense and emotionally charged months that transformed me indelibly.

I began to see what were the things that were truly important in life and it was definitely not power, fame or money. Nor is it accomplishment, recognition or possessions. As the preacher in Ecclesiastes proclaims: Vanity of vanities, all is vanity. Nothing in life lasts.

However, not a day goes by when I am not reminded of my father and I breathe out a soft, appreciative sigh of sadness. Some things do transcend time, like bonds of love - thank God for that.

Relationships are, therefore, of utmost importance to me and my energies are channelled accordingly toward them. First and foremost, the one I have with God, then the ones I was given at birth, and finally the ones I choose as an adult.

Last Sunday Father Arro said he would ask those who seek to be baptized their motivation in embracing Christianity. If it is to be saved, then it was unnecessary, for all men and women of good will would enter the kingdom of heaven, even without the rite of baptism.

However, what baptism does is it breathes life into a relationship with God. To be a son or daughter to a loving and merciful Father, who washes us clean of original sin and makes us feel like new is a wonderful thing. The Lord is a patient Father who beckons all of us unceasingly, and gives us second chances, no matter how badly we mess up in life.

Baptism is to be born again into a life filled with the sweet-smelling flowers of faith, hope and love despite the rank dankness of suffering we all experience on occasion.

We know that we are never alone, and that we are loved, dearly. In all things and situations, Jesus and God's Holy Spirit walk with us, giving us strength and encouragement, keeping us safe from gut-wrenching fears and doubts.

To be in relationship with God does not imply grim scrupulosity, or a forsaking of the pleasures of life. Rather, it is a bond of love that invites us to enter through the narrow door always (admittedly not an easy thing at times), where we leave behind our baggage of disordered desires and seek to see God face to face, naked and unadorned of the accoutrements of world. No posturing or braggadocio, just the simple joy of communion.

It is all about the quality of heart as Father Arro stressed. Is my heart humble and contrite? Is it open and receptive? Am I innocent and trusting like a child?

When we are in right and tight relationship with God, then we are able to reflect our baptismal badge of honour by loving others as He loves us.

We can be kind to those whom we dislike. We can be forgiving of those who hurt and anger us. We can be bearers of truth and light to the world, bringing justice and peace. We can be blessings to others to the extent we ourselves have been blessed. Our capacity to love becomes infinite.

We can also trace clearly where God makes straight our crooked paths. No matter how broken a relationship may be or how imperfect a love we have for others, it is often repaired and made perfect when we endeavour wholeheartedly to show His love to others.

Despite our dysfunctional relationship, my father and I were able to do just that because we each, in our own way, experienced the healing love of God in our individual lives, especially in those last eight months. And in the end, by attempting to love each other as Jesus loved us, we became the face of Christ to each other. Something I see only now,10 years later.

And that made our relationship a blessing that lives on not just today, but all the days of my life, and beyond. My father's life was not lived in vain and, God willing, neither will be mine.

NB: This entry began as a reflection of the readings of Lay Apostolate Sunday which I found rich in meaning, and I borrowed from heavily - Isaiah 66:18-21, Hebrews 12: 5-7, 11-13 and Luke 13:22-30.

No comments: