Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Desired result

After a month of waiting, I finally got the results of my Pilates exam last Thursday. I did well. I got my desired result and more.

I was elated, but at the same time, having waited so long, I was not as thrilled as I should be, and was a little blasé about the whole thing.

E reminded me that it was something to celebrate and she is right.

When I think back on how I felt as I went through the process of preparation, how impossibly high the mountain looked then, and how much I struggled every step of the way, it is a great personal achievement.

It not only serves as a reminder to me that I still have some grey matter left, that when I apply myself, I can actually do a fairly decent job, but it also highlights the faithfulness of God.

He granted the desire of my heart and blessed me abundantly for my diligence and perseverance.

He supplied hope when it was in short supply and inner peace when I was frazzled. I did not drown in depression because He was holding my hand and keeping my feet on the water's surface as I walked.

I suppose why I am not jumping for joy is due to the realization that a good grade is not everything. It is merely a tool to see where I am in terms of knowledge acquisition and retention, as well as being an external validator and job enabler, nothing more.

How well I teach still requires continual effort on my part to keep my skills honed and relevant.

It's like what my godson B said to me when I asked him last Saturday after his confirmation whether he felt Spirit-filled: Not yet.

A gift has been given, a milestone attained. However, we cannot afford to rest on our laurels. Instead, to make the gift or success even more valuable, we must use it well. We must seek to multiply the talents given (last Sunday's apt Gospel) instead of burying it in the ground, thereby killing it.

For B to be Spirit-filled, he must be Spirit-led. He must embrace the joys, sorrows and hardships of being Christian by following in Christ's footsteps on the narrow path. He must be a man of integrity, compassion and mercy who loves without counting the cost.

As for me, I, too, must continue to be led by God's Spirit, and ensure my talents are multiplied to the best of my ability.

Ultimately I desire doing God's will in my life so my hope at the end of my life is that I produce the desired result of good fruit, nourishing and delightful.

No comments: