Saturday, January 15, 2011

Child of light

Last week I stumbled across a quote by Marianne Williamson which I thought absolutely brilliant. From her book A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of "A Course in Miracles" titled Our Deepest Fear, she wrote:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

Whether it's fear of inadequacy or power, darkness or light, we are our own worst enemies, when we are afraid to go beyond frontiers, to test our limitations again and again and press on despite repeated failure, or to pursue and nurture a passion just because it defies common sense.

By the time I was in my mid-thirties, I had packed up my dreams for I had bought into the idea that there was a certain order in the universe that I could not buck and I was resigned to a life of frustrated mediocrity seasoned with disappointments and missed opportunities.

This was until I came to the realization that I had a vocation, a mission in life that spoke of untapped potentials and burgeoning possibilities to be explored.

To be powerful beyond measure - not in the way the world understands power, but to be an infinite and unique channel of grace in the lives of those I know and meet every day.

All I had to do was be that child of God Williamson wrote about. The child who realizes she owes her existence to God, understands how much He loves her and knows all she has to do is to simply be that child.

While the truth of my identity is quite apparent, the devil, as they say, is in the details, the details of how to live as that fearless child whose vision is untainted by cultural filters that can be so limiting and destructive.

I am bombarded by internal and external messages daily that I am not good enough, that a woman is a member of the weaker sex, that my worth as a human being is infinitesimal for I do not hold a position of influence or have a career worth speaking about, that I am not smart enough... the list goes on.

It requires a steadfast single-mindedness to be guided in all things by my Father who knows best and not give in to the skewed standards set by the world.

Pope John Paul II defines holiness as receptivity to the gift of the Bridegroom. Only by responding with the open and trusting heart of a child, can I then "conceive the love of God from within and bring it forth into the world".

This openness of heart means letting go of fears, old habits, perspectives and prejudices, to try new things and travel more profound depths, taking many leaps of faith along the way.

It means striving hard and working towards realizing my gifts and actualizing my self. Not forgetting to enjoy the journey along the way.

It also means to constantly check where I am to see if I am on the right track, and then to see if I am keeping pace or dragging my feet?

Williamson's quote is a reminder to walk boldly forward in the new year, not to shrink but to expand (spiritually only, I hope) and to play it big. And when obstacles come my way, to let God's will and wisdom ease me forward.

Only in this way can I liberate my own dreams and maybe those of others, too.


No comments: