Monday, January 03, 2011

Fun days

Baby bro asked me a question a couple of days ago, what do I do for me time - to relax and have fun?

The question threw me for a loop for it is one I usually pose to stressed out friends (not one usually directed at me), and also because I couldn't really give him a valid response for a while.

Well, I do have plans this new year and I am quite excited about auditing a course on moral theology called Personal Compass: Navigating Ethical Ambiguity but that hardly qualifies as fun.

I had to think hard before I came up with an answer that satisfied him, that is I intend to buy a ukulele and take lessons this year.

His question set me thinking - do I do fun stuff, am I a fun person? Why did I have to struggle to answer him?

I no longer dive, much as I would love to, due to time and cost constraints. Anyways, that was a very occasional avocation.

Right now, I don't do anything that brings me pleasure and helps me unwind apart from an occasional glass of wine or umeshu, which is a frightening realization.

The last performance I attended was only because I wanted to bring Mum for she enjoys live music.

I rarely hang out with friends who lead equally busy lives.

I haven't stepped into a cinema in ages. I don't even listen to music much although I love music and it moves me.

I haven't danced in years although I love to dance. I still read, but not books that would qualify as light reading.

Hmmm... all I do in my free time is blog, surf the net and watch cable TV. Not good.

No wonder my body is stiff as a board, creaky and growing sideways.

So yes, I am going to prioritize fun activities in 2011, activities which include being outdoors and pushing myself physically so I experience a rush of endorphins on a regular basis.

In honour of my baby bro, whose birthday it is today, I am going to model him and learn to lighten up and get moving.

I wouldn't want to turn into someone with "spiritual bad breath" who has no idea how to laugh at herself and is a pain to be with.

It would be pointless to be a person who does "good deeds" but does them without any joy (I have been rather frazzled and snappish lately so yes, I could definitely be less wired).

Thanks for the reminder, bro. Bring on the fun.

No comments: