Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Personal best

When I was a young girl, I was laughed at for crying at sad movies and for being too soft. So I spent years covering up this weakness for real women do not cry, at least they don't, in my family.

It is only in recent years, that having been unbound from the burial clothes after coming to life as Lazarus did, that I have come to appreciate the gift of my "bleeding heart", as I call it, this ability to feel the pain of the other and make it my own.

This empathy, coupled with compassion, impels me to reach out and lend a helping hand as well as understand the perceived negative actions of others in order to be more forgiving.

Embracing my bleeding heart has a price. For oftentimes I invest too much psychic, emotional and physical energy into someone's problem that I am completely tapped out.

Even in exercising my gifts I must be judicious and moderate.

I have come to realize that I tend to get a little messianic in my efforts as I immerse myself in the issue or situation at hand. But that is not my calling. I am not the Messiah who has already come and saved the world.

Instead, I am only a disciple of Christ, created in His image and likeness, and I am called to follow Him wherever He leads me and to do as His Spirit prompts.

This means not letting my ego come into play and ultimately seeking my own glory and not His. Not an easy thing to do.

In seeking His glory, I must cooperate and stand back quite frequently to give God space to be creative as well - and He never fails to dazzle me with His powerful creativity.

While I am to give my personal best at all times, I must never make it personal. So I ask for wisdom to know how to give and when to let go and let God so that everything I do is motivated by one thing only.

Ad majorem dei gloriam.


No comments: