Sunday, January 31, 2010

Mother-daughter time

I’ve just spent the better part of last week in Bali and had a relaxing fun time. I got to show my Mum around (she’s never been while I’ve been several times), taking her to places I’d been before, and to places that we’d both never been before like the lush green padi fields around Candi Dasa and the water palace of Tirta Gangga.

We were both very impressed with the sight of ancient frangipani trees in Tenganan and the gorgeous sunsets by the sea (one of our drivers/guides was quite frustrated with what we thought interesting for we rejected most of his suggestions and wanted to do our own thing).

What struck me most about this trip was the kindness of strangers, the warm hospitality of the Balinese, minus a few dodgy characters. I was totally charmed by the sweetness and friendliness of almost everyone I met.  

While I did not have much time for structured prayer as Mum and I shared a room and we were on the go for pretty much of the time, I tried to practise the presence of Jesus by being patient and kind, first to my mother and then to those that we met.

I am glad to say I succeeded largely (at least I think so : P)and I was conscious throughout our days there of the blessings of good weather, beautiful sights, wonderful sunsets, delicious meals, safe drivers and God’s protection over the two of us wherever we went (I had a few near-misses with motorcyclists).

It was also a time of healing and escape for me – from prior physical exhaustion, the weight of responsibility and ghosts from my past. 

I also liked that I got to take Mum on a vacation she always wanted and one that she enjoyed very much (I hope). 

Having just gone through a month filled with hospital visits to see A. and even witnessing the passing of two of her room-mates (in real time), I am cognizant of the limited time we are each given on this earth, especially my ageing mother’s, who currently, thank God, is in good health.

Therefore I am resolved to not let the busyness of my life derail me from the things that are important in life, like vacations! 

Seriously, one of my deepest desires is to make my mother’s life as comfortable and as enjoyable as possible for it is not only my way of showing her love but also my way of loving and honouring my deceased father, who wanted the best for my mother from the day he married her.  

So it’s nice to be able to fulfil Dad’s promise to Mum and also to thank her, in my own small way, for conceiving and carrying me for nine months, for giving me life, and for bringing me up to love patiently and unconditionally.

May we continue to have as much fun in our everyday living as we did in Bali.


No comments: