Monday, November 28, 2022

Monday of the 1st Week of Advent

At every mass, just before we receive Communion we say:


Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.

I find this prayer which is the response the centurion made to Jesus in Matthew’s gospel full of the promise of Christ’s love. The more we believe in Him, the more we will experience a fuller extent of whatever we desire of Him. Faith is requisite. Faith, as we’ve been told, can move mountains, plant a mulberry tree in the sea; faith makes all things possible.


Although I believe in Christ, and I’ve experienced many miracles, I have to say, faith is not so easy to sustain, or is it just me? At times I do not think I am worthy of having my prayer answered. Or, it’s too ridiculous a request. I often place my own human limitations on what I feel Jesus can do. Thankfully He disregards my foibles and blesses me anyway. 


So today I ask for the singular faith of the centurion who recognizes the authority of Jesus. Say the word, Lord, and my soul shall be healed. 


No comments: