Sunday, November 27, 2022

Sunday of the 1st Week of Advent

Wake up now! This imperative from Saint Paul reminds us to be alert, prepared, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect Saint Matthew goes on to remind us in todays gospel. Despite this eschatological warning, we must not forget that because we are believers, we are already living in the kingdom of God at present for Jesus, the Son of Man, has already come into our lives and made a huge difference. Or has He really? 
Do I experience the joy of His loving and supportive presence even when my day is going “badly”? Am I generously sharing this wonderful news of eternal salvation in thought, word and deed to everyone I meet? Do people, as the hymn goes, know I am Christian by my love? May this Advent be this great opportunity to sharpen my skills of Jesus love, no matter what or who comes my way. 
O Lord, please help me know you more clearly, love you more dearly and follow you more nearly, day by day.

Prayer of Saint Richard of Chichester
Thanks be to thee, my Lord Jesus Christ,
for all the benefits thou hast given me,
for all the pains and insults thou hast borne for me.
O most merciful redeemer, friend and brother,
may I know thee more clearly,
love thee more dearly,
and follow thee more nearly, day by day.
Amen.

No comments: