Monday, January 15, 2018

Celebrating a life well lived

It has happened yet again, someone I love has in the space of just over a day disappeared from this earth. Yes, life is fragile, time is finite, death is inevitable and all that, but when death wields an unexpected stroke, it leaves me slightly numb. We were just planning a visit in March to Melaka to see her and Mum's other relatives and friends, but now, Mum and I are in Melaka to attend the funeral tomorrow morning.

The only consolation is Aunty I did not suffer much. She had a fall last Thursday around lunchtime, hitting her head on the floor. There was bleeding in the brain, and despite efforts to move her to a hospital in KL for treatment, she passed on Friday evening.

 Aunty I is close in age to my mother and they grew up as playmates during the Japanese Occupation along with a bunch of other cousins. She is the only one who could relate a story of my mother as a playful girl chasing a screaming Aunty I around the garden with an earthworm lodged between her fingers. If you met my mother you could never imagine she had it in her to be mischievous. But then again, Aunty I would have been a great victim for she had a sunny and forgiving nature, and had a loud scream.

When talking to Aunty I, my mother became loquacious and animated. We've had some great times over the years, me listening to them chatter and laugh over the stories she would relate to us. Aunty I was insouciantly cheerful and had a huge store of funny stories to tell us. I will miss her infectious laugh and laid-back bonhomie. She was a true Melakan nonya who welcomed us with warm hospitality and easy smiles, always wanting to feed us.

Tonight as I listened to relatives and friends pay tribute to her, I am reminded that Aunty I was a woman of great faith, simple and strong. She was constantly praying for others and I am sure she blessed me with prayer over the years as well.

As Pastor Sam said it's not so important how one died (seeing as how her death was so sudden), but rather it is good to ask how one lived? Aunty I lived a full life for she touched many people's lives and brought many to Jesus, especially her own family members. She was sweet, kind, generous and humble as she laboured tirelessly in the Lord's vineyard, winning hearts for Him through prayer.

While I am sad I will never hear her laugh again, I rejoice that she is now with Jesus, a just reward for always placing Him first in her heart and life. It was a good way to go, quick with a modicum of suffering - she was definitely favoured by God. I celebrate her irrepressible spirit and unyielding faith with a wish to be even a quarter of the prayer warrior she was. Then I would move mountains like she has.

Till we meet again, dear Aunty I, may eternal rest and perpetual light be yours.

Sitting next to Aunty I in happier times

No comments: