Tuesday, January 02, 2018

Seven words for the new year

It is officially 2018! P and I welcomed in the new year by attending late night mass on New Year's Eve, giving thanks for the 12 months before, and also for Mary, Mother of God. Would that we both have half her courage and love for the Father and her Son, then the year ahead will be one filled with great things as we both magnify the Lord in all we do in the new year.

What do I wish for in 2018? That I will spend more time in contemplation. If 2017 is any indicator of how life is, it will not slow down. Apart for that, I am bringing across what was good for me in 2017 to the new year:

Breathe. No matter how stressful the situation, I can control how I deal with it even though I cannot control the situation itself. Being uptight and grouchy will not help me, or those around me. Release the tension. Breathe in and breathe out the name of Jesus, and let it be. Jesus will point the way forward, just follow Him obediently. His is always the best way.

Accept. In life, there will be always be upsets, spills, losses, breakdowns and betrayals. Expect that life will not be perfect or go my way all the time. Find beauty, instead, in the snarls and chaos - it is there. And give thanks that I will grow stronger from adversity. Nothing can separate us from the love of Christ so there is nothing to fear. or to throw a hissy fit, for we already own the Good News and we are already living in the Kingdom of Heaven.

Remember. Although my memory grows poor as I age, I can remember to count my blessings, and commit to memory all the times I have been given much. Plus, every day, there are new blessings to celebrate. As Hebrews 13:8 reminds us: God is the same yesterday, today and forever. He is the loving Father, generous to a fault. He wants only the best for us and gives us just that. The question is whether I let myself experience His abundant love every day so that I am able to love others as He loves them.

Affirm. I spent too much of 2017 complaining and criticising, bad habits of a lifetime that I am resolved to change. It is not impossible to do so and I will do as Fritz recommended last year, and that is to pray immediately after I receive communion that Jesus heals me of a particular sin. Jesus came not only to redeem me but also to help me break free from sin. I am wasting a golden opportunity to be rid of sin if I don't allow the power of the Eucharist to administer to my faults and transform my sinful nature.

Laugh. There is nothing like humour to lighten the load and turn a bad day around. I need to be able to poke fun at myself when I get ridiculous or too intense. Laugh when all I want to do is cry. Laugh when I feel like pulling my hair out. Laugh just for the fun of it. And if I can make others around me laugh, too, I have done well for laughter heals and mends hearts, deepens the bonds of any relationship, and often brings much-needed perspective.

Offer. If I offer my life daily up to Jesus, I will hold lightly in my hands all my sorrows and my joys, all my losses and my victories. I will not be tempted so much by pride, nor will I succumb to addiction so easily. I can work on acquiring virtue without becoming vain, and I will walk with humility to see him more clearly, love him more dearly and follow Him more nearly.

Magnify. And glorify the Lord as Mary did with her life. His will, all the time - this makes the great moments greater, turns the impossible on its head, and multiplies the five loaves and two fish I possess in order to feed many. It can be done. Our Mother always believed, never lost hope and loved with all her heart. I can do the same. Her gentle attentiveness due to her rich interior life has helped me master my own inner storms and I know she will continue to steer me through the days to come.

I hope to achieve these seven words every day. If I do, I know it will be a good year.

No comments: