Sunday, May 28, 2017

Channelling the Rita effect

Ever since P and I got back from France, I have been suffering from jet lag in the worst way. I am also in great physical discomfort due to tight muscles and I have not been able to sleep much in the night, resulting in me going about woolly-headed in the day, trying not to let nausea overcome me. Feeling lousy has affected me emotionally and I currently feel a little overwhelmed by life. So it was timely that May 22 was the feast day of Saint Rita of Cascia.

Saint Rita is known as the Saint of the Impossible; she is Patroness of Impossible Causes. Reading about her life, I can see why. Married against her will at age 12 to a physically abusive philanderer of a husband (she wanted to enter the convent from a young age), she managed to convert him, after long years, only to lose him due to a vendetta where he was violently stabbed to death.

Then she lost her sons, and when she wished to enter a convent subsequently, she was rejected until she could  put an end to the longstanding vendetta between her husband's family and his murderer's family. Here she enlisted the help of her three patron saints in prayer, to great effect. She brought about peaceful reconciliation, and thus could finally fulfil her childhood desire by entering the monastery of Saint Magdalene at age 36.

Her early life seemed to careen from one disaster to the next. I am just amazed that she never lost hope, remained full of faith, never gave up, and turned around seemingly impossible situations through steadfast prayer, and an attractive disposition that brought many people to Christ. All this from the time she was a mere child!

Saint Rita is known for her partial stigmata which is a bleeding wound on her forehead that appeared when she in her 60s and meditating before the image of the crucified Christ. The wound, as if from a thorn from the crown of thorns on Christ's head, signified her deep union with Jesus.

I especially like this fact I picked up from Wikipedia:

On the 100th anniversary of her canonization in 2000, Pope John Paul II noted her remarkable qualities as a Christian woman: “Rita interpreted well the 'feminine genius' by living it intensely in both physical and spiritual motherhood.”

Here is a woman who did not let the strictures and disadvantages of her time stop her from becoming a woman true to her principles of being God-loving. Her rock solid faith life buoyed her and helped her bear much fruit spiritually, and in very concrete, miraculous even, ways. She was humble and obedient to the Gospel despite all her travails.

Just as she loved greatly, she was loved in return. Close to the end of her life, she received the gift of a beautiful rose that came from her family garden in winter - God had granted this impossible request she made of her cousin who had visited her and asked her what she wanted from her family home.

Today, this saint that was born in 1381 has helped me put a little perspective into my own life. Sure, there are facets of my life that are challenging. And yes, I fumble, and may not be very good at what I do. I may even feel defeated by small and inconsequential things, dispirited by my clumsy efforts at loving the people around me, but that's no excuse for pessimism and self-pity, especially since I have her good example of what one can accomplish if one sets one's mind to it.

I may be a weak woman, riddled with insecurities and fear, but I have God's Spirit, all powerful and ever-living inside of me, I have the wisdom and strength of Jesus and His mother, Mary, when I run to them. I also have inspiring saints like Saint Rita to emulate as well as to root for me. Nothing is impossible or so unbearable that I just give up and give in to despair.

Many things may be out of my control and I may not necessarily be happy about everything that happens in my life, but is that a bad thing? Shouldn't I have more faith and trust that all things will work out for the good of everyone including myself, especially in the long haul?

Like Saint Rita, I must remain fearless, persevering and loving no matter what life throws me, and be true to who I am and what I stand for. As Saint John Paul II encouraged:

In her example of total abandonment to God, in her transparent simplicity and in her unflinching fidelity to the Gospel, we too can find sound direction for being authentic Christian witnesses.

Saint Rita, help me to focus on God, and God alone, to be obedient, and steadfast. May I change my world as you did yours, bringing peace, joy and the goodness of God to all. May I wear my suffering as lightly as you wore yours, loving Christ as much as you did.

No comments: