Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Lourdes and beyond

May 6:  P and I are in France. What began as a simple fulfilment of a wedding gift grew into something so much more, a pilgrimage. I am quite excited for it will be our first pilgrimage together. Finally, after all the fits and starts of last year, all the aborted plans, we are actually visiting not only a major Marian shrine (Lourdes is touted as the world's most visited Christian shrine), but also places that hold great meaning for us individually, and as a couple.

Our first stop is Lourdes. When we met couple P and H last week, P shared that Lourdes was like a spiritual Wonderland for both of them - every day, they were trying to decide what to do and where to visit. Oh, this is going to be so much fun!

Lourdes is where Mother Mary appeared to a young girl, Bernadette Soubirous, in 1858, in a series of 18 meetings (or apparitions), and where the now Saint Bernadette received instruction to dig in the mud from which the spring water flows to this very day. Pilgrims the world over come, en masse, to pray, drink and immerse themselves in these waters, and some experience great physical healing. Hence Lourdes is known to be a place of many miracles, and of healing.

May 9:  We have completed our sojourn in Lourdes and it has been a time of great blessing. We were first blessed with gorgeous, warm, sunny days despite all the warnings of cold and dreary weather.

We were also blessed to be here on the weekend when the Order of Malta congregate annually during the first week of May, May being the Marian month. The spirit of the hospitallers inspired me with their willingness to serve the sick. It was heartening to see this spirit of service inculcated in the young, as seen by the troops of children walking around the grounds in their red berets.

The International Mass, this Good Shepherd Sunday, in the underground Basilica of St Pius X was filled to its 25,000 capacity with pilgrims from the world over. I have not been in the same space as with so many priests, bishops, and even cardinals. It was an awesome and moving mass.

My best couple experience was to walk and meditate the Way of the Cross together twice. Many things spoke to me during both days when we did this prayer walk. God's creativity spoke to me in the beauty of the trees dressed in spring foliage and I gave thanks for the beautiful, serene surroundings of Lourdes. My sense of gratitude, and joy, was great during the walks. Who am I that Jesus should die for me? And yet, He did, and I was reminded to live life "to the full" for I have been given the gift of eternal life.

Another reminder is that life is a journey, and we are perpetually pilgrims, journeying with Jesus as our destination, as well as our Bread for the journey. Travel light and walk virtuously by partaking of the Bread every day. As I walked, and prayed, with P by my side, I luxuriated in the fact that I had found my mountain man in P, the one who will climb the mountain of the Lord with me, the one with clean hands, and pure heart. I am blessed beyond measure.





May 10:  P and I leave for Lisieux today after a very short stop in Chartres to visit the Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Chartres. We spent the afternoon in this immense and impossibly beautiful Cathedral giving thanks and praying. N and S had a little accident but are both fine, so much to be thankful for.

Although we couldn't walk the famed labyrinth on the church floor, we walked the two small labyrinths in the surrounding gardens. The thing that struck me about this Cathedral is how we took our bearings from it as this edifice dominated the landscape of the charming town of Chartres. Once I lost sight of the Cathedral I became disoriented. Likewise, in life, I need to keep my eyes on Jesus so as to know where I am going.

Onwards to Lisieux, to see the home of The Little Flower. 

No comments: