Saturday, December 31, 2016

Holy Year

The one thing that emerges from 2016 is the need for sanctity. No matter what the vicissitudes or triumphs of life may be, my sanity and humility have maintained a fair balance only through the ability to turn to Jesus for counsel, comfort and thanksgiving.

Banal as it may sound, prayer works. I have experienced how prayer helps take the edge off soul-searing grief, gives one the inner voice of clarity and good sense in times of chaos and confusion, and heightens the pleasure of living in a God moment through the continuum of time.

By keeping my consciousness attuned to my Maker, I have been able to make choices that bear the mark of His wisdom and courage. Otherwise, I would have lacked the compassion to forgive those who have hurt me; I would have allowed grief to turn me into a coward who refuses to love with all my heart; and most of all, I would not have had the heart to enter into marriage.

I like this reflection I read from Laudate a couple of days back about the Presentation at the Temple where when Simeon blesses Mary and Joseph, he prophesies how Mary would suffer for the love of her child.

The reflection goes on to talk about the paradox for those blessed by the Lord. Mary was given the blessedness of being the mother of the Son of God. That blessedness also would become a sword which pierced her heart as her Son died upon the cross. She received both a crown of joy and a cross of sorrow. But her joy was not diminished by her sorrow because it was fueled by her faith, hope, and trust in God and his promises. Jesus promised his disciples that "no one will take your joy from you" (John 16:22). The Lord gives us a supernatural joy which enables us to bear any sorrow or pain and which neither life nor death can take away.  

I know I have been blessed very much, just as Mary was blessed. And my ability to continue to have faith, hope and trust in God's promises like she did, especially when the going is tough and life is bleak comes from trying to be holy, just as she was. While I cannot say I have been totally consistent all 365 days of 2016, I have definitely experienced the supernatural joy the writer talks about, even in sorrow. So whatever comes my way in 2017, I know I can face it and not be defeated.

My hope for the new year is that I will keep growing in holiness, and my wish for the world is that we will all walk in step with each other with clean hands and pure hearts. May we seek to be sanctified without becoming sanctimonious, and to be co-workers in the vineyard of the Lord. 

No comments: