Friday, December 23, 2016

The first 12 days

If someone were to say to me you are going to experience the most upheavals in your life this year I would not have believed them. Before April, my life was on an even keel. I had experienced reconciliation in a long estranged relationship and I was involved in so many ministries and projects that fulfilled me - life was busy good.

Then I met P. The next day, J died suddenly. I was beside myself. Completely blindsided by loss. As the weeks went by, there was a new call in my life which added confusion to the mix. A whole new world of possibilities opened up which amped up the stress levels tremendously for discerning and saying yes to marriage was a biggy, not made easier by well meaning friends who thought I was going soft in the head.

Opposition came from all directions for both P and myself for people could not understand how we could know what we both wanted in such a short time, and it was not easy to explain the clarity that came from clinging to Jesus. I highly recommend daily mass as a great way to date, incidentally. And to know whether marriage is on the cards, constant prayer and fasting, with time spent in the adoration room is an excellent way to foretell the future.

Come June, E fell very sick. My world came crashing in a second time. I told P if I were to lose another cousin so soon I would go crazy. Next, C got really sick as well, just weeks before the wedding. So much pain and sorrow amidst the joy. Is it any wonder I have finally begun to gray, due in no small part to my emotional state and the inability to get sufficient sleep?

So how would I term this year? I would say it was more than perfect. It was perfect because I was given so many opportunities to share love and life, and I, consequently, was able to enlarge my heart. Like Hannah who received a desperately longed-for son, only to give him back to God, she found that in the generosity of her actions, she received even more from God. By giving back to God in ways I initially was resistant to, I have found that I now have the capacity to give even more, far beyond my own comprehension and natural ability. When the Lord is ever generous, one cannot help but want to reciprocate.

Because I told Jesus I wanted to walk closer with Him, He honoured my desire by giving me P as a husband. Walking closely with Jesus in my courtship days with P has changed me. I have grown not only stronger, more faith-filled and confident, but also gentler and softer. I have learned to rely more on the Holy Spirit, and to model myself more on Mother Mary these last months.

Starting my married life by consecrating myself to Jesus through Mary has pushed the envelope beyond perfection. There have been little changes already, and I hope that they will continue so that I can be more of all the good things I wish to be, aligning my will even more closely to His.

As for marriage, although 12 days is a short time to go by (and P and I are still on our honeymoon), I would say I am confident we will have many good days ahead of us, because we both find our source of life in Jesus.

I do not take for granted what I have been given. I know I am extremely blessed with P, and I believe these first 12 days are but a foretaste of more delights and joys, even amidst future struggles and challenges. I am grateful for this incredible Extraordinary Year of Mercy, and I await the birth of baby Jesus with great anticipation.

O Emmanuel, our king and our lawgiver,
the hope of the nations and their Saviour:
Come and save us, O Lord our God.

No comments: