Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Wedding bliss

If someone were to ask me what was the highlight of my wedding, it would be that the day was a gathering place for family and friends, filled with great rejoicing and a strong sense of community.

I have never felt so loved than during the last month leading up to my wedding day. The affirmation I have received from quarters near and far enable me to see myself through the eyes of many and what I see gives me hope, that I have been able to live out my aspirations of being a good Christian woman.

The woman is Isaiah 62 is me. I am special. I am favoured. Just as I have loved, I am loved greatly in return. The blessings were plentiful. The messages of love and well wishes were gratifying. All this came to the fore as I walked down the aisle and saw all the smiling faces of people whom I loved, that had come to share my joy with me, and finally to see P's smile as he looked at me at the altar.

Although the week leading up to the wedding was a little manic, I was able to enjoy it by meeting up with friends who have flown in specially for the wedding. It was just lovely to sit and hold long conversations with people whom I have not seen in years, some as long as over a decade. Connecting with friends, catching up on our lives, luxuriating in the threads of love and empathy that bind us, it was simply awesome.

P and I were truly appreciative that the church was filled with so many well wishers, and that all our guests had a great time, during mass, and afterwards at lunch. Even our photographer commented that he had never seen such a huge group of people, about 300, gel so well that the occasion never lost a sense of intimacy and camaraderie usually seen in a smaller setting. What amazed P was the many connections between the two circles we brought together. Our lives intersected in ways we never knew and only came to light on our wedding day. Even during the dinner when our respective families got together, it was like a reunion dinner of one big happy family, and nobody wanted to go home. We all had a blast!

The wedding mass itself was singular for many of my ICPE family members were present, and had a hand in making the liturgy so beautiful, through the music, and dance. I am grateful that Anna and Mario Capello were present; so blessed that Angie from Rome, Joan from the Philippines, and my local community, plus little Isaac, all contributed in some way to make the Sacrament of Matrimony one that touched multiple hearts, bringing the Spirit of love so palpably alive in the nuptial celebration.

Marriage, as God conceived it, is forever. Receiving the graces of God's Spirit will definitely help P and I keep the extravagant joy of the wedding at Cana present in our day to day interactions. My prayer for our future is that we will continue to grow in love and learn how to be for the other what the other most needs, be it affirmation, solace, comfort, joy, safe harbour, integrity, goodness or mercy. May P and I sanctify each other, and bring each other to heaven.

B wished me yesterday as she reminded me that P and I were one week into the marriage, and I shared with her that it was indeed grace to be loved and cherished by a good husband. I finally understand what it was that my father wished for me all those years ago before he passed on, and I look forward to living out a nuptial spirituality with P that will transform not just our lives, but the lives of those near and dear to us. 

No comments: