Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Wasting time

Although time is a commodity into which I constantly try to pack as much activity as I can into the finite minutes and hours I have when I am awake, I also spend a lot of it in idle activity to de-stress from the day. But being in a relationship has changed the way I look at my week now and how I prioritize my time.

Given our busy lives, plus our schedules and rhythms that are not always synchronized, finding time to waste with each other can be challenging. And yet, precisely because it is challenging, our meetings become so much sweeter. My absolute favourite thing to do is to attend morning mass with P, followed by breakfast, before we go our separate ways into the work day. There is such strength and joy in worshipping God together.

I was sharing with Sister B last Sunday about the recent changes in my life and she reminded me that no matter what state of life I find myself in, my focus should not change, Jesus first. He is my first and last love, the Bridegroom with whom I should be wasting time on and with if I wish to enter the interior castle*, which I do desire greatly. I do hope it will be the same for P.

Looking back at God's invitation late last year to a deeper level of intimacy, I can see how my relationship with P has already helped me step a little closer towards the keep, or Saint Teresa's inner mansions. Not wishing a misstep, I am striving harder to contemplate the One who makes all things possible.

With the heightened intensity of my prayer life and a greater reliance on letting the Holy Spirit lead in the relationship, I have found such freedom as I have never found in my previous relationships. I do not agonize over the future, or whether this man loves me enough to want to marry me. I realize I am blessed immeasurably that we both want the same thing, God's approbation of our relationship, and because of this, I have the courage to give my all, without fear; towards nurturing a potential life-long friendship and a forever love.

I can also be myself. In fact, I have done my ruthlessly honest best to discourage him (and if he scares easily then he is definitely not the right man for me), for he should know me and love me for who I am, just as I will know and love him for who he is, good and bad. No games, no deceptions.

Of course I know we may still decide to part next year, especially if God reveals we are not meant to be together, and while I know I will suffer the pain of that decision, I also know I have the strength to go on. I did it once before in my last relationship and I know I can do it again. All that matters is what God wants for me, and I trust He wants only what's best for me. Hence my constant prayer is one for obedience. To do whatever He tells me.

In the meantime I will enjoy each day as it comes, let tomorrow take care of itself, and just live in the moment of magnificent abundance.

*  Saint Teresa of Avila's spirituality of mystical interiority.  

No comments: