Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Incarnating the Visitation

Today is the Feast of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary and it is a beautiful way to end the Marian month of May. I was reminded this morning how much grace there is in the recitation of the rosary and asking Our Lady for her intercession.  She helped me this morning to examine a situation closely and see the truth in it. It is good to have her as Mother - to guide, to comfort and to emulate.

I find it hard to sometimes stay the distance in meditating on the rosary for my thoughts often distract me. I have come to realize that it is okay to be distracted as long as I pull myself back in when I do. The main thing is I try my sincere best. And I recite a couple of extra Hail Marys when I feel I did not do justice to those I rattled off unthinkingly.

There is so much to learn from Mother Mary, especially in the Visitation, which, incidentally, is the icon of the Woman to Woman Ministry. In the Visitation we see how selfless Mary is in hastening to Elizabeth's side to render help, with no thought for her own problems (pregnant with no husband).

I also like how John, in utero, and Elizabeth, both recognize the presence of Jesus in Mary's womb, and how they welcomed Him with elation. If only I am that sensitive all the time that I recognize Jesus in my fellow human beings, especially those whom I find hard to love, or those on whom I project my own feelings of inadequacy.

Finally the Magnificat, this glorious hymn of praise to God celebrating the mystery and the power of the incarnation. These three highlights of Luke's Gospel (1:39-56) encourage me to live out the Visitation in my daily life in real and practical terms.

I am called to not just comfort and give advice to those who are hurt, sad, or confused, but to also celebrate with gladness the joys and achievements of others, and to offer assistance in any way I can, with no regard for my own inconvenience. As they say, sharing halves our sorrows and double our joys. It is all about connecting with someone where they are, and where I am, yet giving them the space to express themselves freely.

I also need to look at others with Spirit-enhanced vision to perceive God residing in them in the incarnation of His son, Jesus. Often I look at others through a lens of fear and distrust, my own prejudices, and I tend to erect fences and protect my own space rather than reach out with the trusting hand and smile of a child who believes the universe is a loving and wonderful place.

At the same time, I am also called to be receptive to becoming pregnant with Jesus, as Mary was. To say fiat, let it be done unto me according to Thy word. This entails the biggest risk of all for it calls forth from me my willingness to be vulnerable, to stay humble so that I can empty myself of anything that impedes my spiritual growth and come face to face with Jesus. Mary's gift of pondering in her heart the Word, and letting it well up in her until she gives birth to it is a gift I covet. I can never be as bold, steadfast and courageous as she was. I can only try.

The Magnificat is an awesome hymn of praise for it recognizes the supremacy of God in the world when we allow ourselves to say yes to acting in faith on our individual strength - to be overshadowed by the Holy Spirit and impregnated, and to eventually give birth to new life, eternal life as promised by God. The Almighty will do great things for me, using me to help reverse the order of the world's injustices and inequalities. I just have to keep saying yes in my actions. As the reflection from Laudate states, Mary declares the truths and mysteries which the incarnation brought to light.

Love of the order and magnitude of what Mother Mary had in her heart, conquers all. For she had what Peter in his second letter says is given to us to know God and to escape corruption in a world that is sunk in vice. To paraphrase Peter, Mary had goodness to her faith, understanding to her goodness, self-control to her understanding, patience to her self-control, true devotion to her patience, kindness towards her fellow men to her devotion, and, to this kindness, love.

So as Blessed Henry Suso exhorts: Let us have recourse to Mary; for of all creatures she is the highest, the purest, the most beautiful, and the most loving. 

Mother Mary, pray for us that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

No comments: