Sunday, August 09, 2015

Happy 50th, Singapore

I did not choose to be born here
But God decided that it was good -
That's good enough for me!
His plan and purpose involves
Knowing, loving and serving* the people
Who live with me in this place I call home
Singapura, the Lion City
Where the brave of heart roam, rojak** united.
Regardless of race, language or religion.
It may not be perfect but it is HOME. Truly.
Kiasu*** and kiasi****, safe and ordered
Some say too sanitized, straitjacketed,
Too expensive, material focused on the 5Cs*****
Or is it six now? Full of complainers.
We wouldn't be Singaporean if we didn't grouse.
Lest we forget, we should be proud,
Of how far we've come in just 50 years
Thanks to our indomitable forefathers
Who sacrificed their lives and made it work
From nobody's child to Little Red Dot.
The world sits up and applauds
I do, too.
To give thanks I pledge my best
Majulah Singapura.******


*  Thanks to Derek Chong who is here to do group work facilitation with us 7-10 August. This is my main take-away.
**  a salad
***  competitive
****  afraid to get involved
***** denotes materialism and the pursuit of Cash, Condo, Credit Card, Car and Country club membership
******  Onward Singapore

No comments: