Monday, September 30, 2013

Post-vacation highs

After an indulgent and activity-loaded three-week vacation, it felt great to come home to my own bed and to settle down into routine again. Even going back to work feels good, I kid you not.

While abroad, my prayer life was a little uneven, although on board the Serenity, I managed to make it to mass almost every day which was a real treat. The rest of the time, I muttered many quick prayers of thanksgiving for there was much to be thankful for: fabulous late summer weather, no pickpockets, smooth travel on trains, delicious food, comfortable hotels, no mishaps, completed Christmas shopping and the kindness of strangers everywhere we went.

We got to view the magnificent mosaic floors of the Siena Duomo which are uncovered for public viewing only six to nine weeks in a year. Big time hidden treasure. Then I stumbled upon Antonio Ciseri's Ecce Homo in the Palazzo Pitti, which blew me away for this painting is very special to me. Supermega hidden treasure! (See September 8 post Hidden treasures)

We even met angels, Sergio and Carol, who guided us back to the ship in Venice and one named Alvin, who showed us Florence by night (so magical) and ensured we got the best views of the city, the creamiest black sesame and sour cherry gelato and the juiciest Fiorentina steak.

Thus it was timely that I had a weekend retreat just two days upon my return and could spend time in praise and worship, silent adoration and Scriptural contemplation. It was necessary to allow my soul to rejoice in Him, as the responsorial refrain went yesterday. 

It is ironic how I often think of prayer as duty, thanksgiving, intercessory or pure supplication. This weekend showed me again that when I truly open myself to listening to Him through prayer, He speaks with loving and reassuring wisdom, and even answers questions that are bubbling beneath the surface of my consciousness. I am amazed even though I should know better.

I was also able to process the recent trip a little better, unravel the mysteries of the Lord's beneficence and savour the gems I found, yet could not take time then to show due appreciation.

The gifts in Europe were many, but the greatest gift was how free I felt to be me because I was so centred on Him. I was not bothered by my usual hang ups, inadequacies or fears. I did not wish for more than what I received for I received much more than I expected and I was duly grateful. I simply was, and it felt really good.

Today in the studio A asked me which was my favourite city, I replied every place was uniquely beautiful. But what I really meant to say was everything was amazingly beautiful because Jesus was there, right by my side, the whole time.

To quote Saint Teresa of Avila: Solo Dios basta (Only God is enough). Even on vacation.

No comments: