Sunday, September 08, 2013

Hidden treasures

I am right now in Barcelona with my mother on our pre-cruise vacation. We booked this cruise a year ago and it is finally happening. But because I have been preoccupied lately, I did not plan our trip well.

As late as the evening of our departure did I discover that I had forgotten to book our train tickets in Italy. Something prompted me at the last moment and I am most grateful. I believe that something was a whisper from the Holy Spirit.

So when I reflected on today's reading, what Saint Paul said to the Colossians struck a chord:

For in him are hidden all treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

Every time I have had to make a decision, be it which airline to fly, which city to visit or which hotel to book; when I would start to feel a little overwhelmed, I would pray, please Jesus, help me make the right decision.

My mother's comfort and enjoyment are main considerations. This is stressful, not because she is difficult to please, but because I want everything to be perfect for her. I can live with a crappy hotel, but I would not want Mummy to endure sub-standard accommodation, or awful anything for that matter.

Plus, this vacation was her idea, her desire. If you knew my mum, you would know that she is a woman of simple tastes and few wants so when she expresses a preference, I run with it. It is not often that I get to fulfil a wish of hers.

It has truly amazed me how in being led by the Spirit, I have been helped by friends, chance conversations with people, and, of course, the advice of many on the Internet.

The mystique of travel is the sense of adventure one has in walking into the unknown and making new discoveries along the way. Even getting lost or making mistakes can yield startling and delightful finds. Much like treasures not really looked for, yet found.

Our first day in Barcelona, yesterday, was a prime example of the hidden treasure principle. With no idea of what to do after checking in, I went with the recommendation of going to La Rambla, the main drag.

In our exertions wandering down the tree-lined boulevard, chance brought us to a church that was beautiful and, best of all, mass was about to start. Not only could I give thanks and continue to offer up this trip to God, but I could also celebrate the feast day of the Nativity of Mary with the whole church and pray for peace in Syria (as requested by Pope Francis). Oh, and the name of the church: Parroquia de la Mare de Deu de Betlem, Our Lady of Bethlehem. How's that for a God-incidence?


This was followed by yummy lunch, where we happened to sit next to a fellow Singaporean who advised me where to go eat in Venice. (Good local food is so much a part of the travel experience.) The restaurant we were in also happened to have free wifi so I could chat with my brothers, telling them we had arrived safely.

I look forward to the following days to see what treasures lie in store for us as we celebrate the beauty of nature and art. And I continue to rely on His wisdom and knowledge to show the way forth.

No comments: