Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Nature and beauty

Before I left for Europe, I went to see my SD and he told me two things I could look forward to were nature and beauty. The created beauty of buildings and art would be eye and soul candy.

I went a little overboard in trying to pack in the sights in Barcelona (my poor Mum), we leave later today on a cruise down the Mediterranean, but it has been worth it. We have feasted our eyes and palates, and even had the opportunity to enjoy the local fiesta in Poble Nou (hidden treasure principle strikes again for who knew the fiesta would be there last weekend).

However, the line of people snaking round the Sagrada Familia (tip: get online tickets) and on the way to Monserrat (tip: take the first train up and get in line first, or go with a private tour) made us both want to give up, but we persisted and it was worth it.

What impossibly beautiful churches to gather in to celebrate the Eucharist. If only I could've had that experience.

I was reminded of a conversation I had with my youngest brother who felt the money spent on ecclesial pomp was better spent elsewhere. He couldn't be further from the truth.

God created a world of beauty so that we can find Him in the sights, sounds and smells of the earth, sea and sky. Inspired by Him in nature, we, in turn, pay tribute by creating shapes and forms that speak of the majesty and the glory of God's handiwork.

Why else do we create: write, sing or paint what stirs our hearts, for is it not God who moves us, whether we are aware of it or not?

Thus, church buildings and all interior embellishments are attempts to glorify God as well as to give worshippers a wow experience of God.

The Sagrada Familia and the Santa Maria de Monserrat Basilica are indeed testaments to human efforts that accord God the appropriate respect and worship.

Overwhelmed by the beauty of the churches I have visited thus far, I felt a heightened sense of sadness over the recent destruction of Coptic churches in Egypt.

Yes it is true that people are what make up the church of God, but the buildings where we gather to worship are physical spaces marked by grace, holy ground, not merely buildings of historical or architectural worth.

They bring to mind what Keats wrote: Beauty is truth. Ecclesial beauty has a truth that is especially penetrating, for it is meant to move minds and hearts toward God.

I can never hope to reach the heights of creativity that Gaudi or the countless architects, artists and craftsmen had, but like those who have gone before me, I will never stop praising His holy name in all I do.

No comments: