Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Making Lent real

We are mid-way through Lent and I am still trying my best to honour the season while going beyond convention.

Interestingly enough, my biggest weakness decided to makes its presence felt just before Lent began and has been plaguing me these past weeks.

Although my first reaction is guilt, I know enough to dismiss it quickly by acknowledging being tempted and then repenting by offering it up to Jesus and asking to be filled with sanctifying grace.

I think of Paul and his thorn in the flesh, how it was not taken away from him to perhaps keep him humble.  I keep questioning God though, and in seeking for answers, it sometimes leads me to a better understanding of myself and my quest for self-mastery.

I also remember to be grateful for grace that gives me strength to persevere when the going gets tough, something every Christian finds a challenge - to be faithful in all things, in all areas of life, and all the time.

Does it ever get tiring? Of course. That's why we need liturgical reminders like the Lenten season, not forgetting the sacraments (especially the Eucharist), the Word of God, the Holy Spirit and the holy men/women He puts in our lives.

Going for the TOB training at St. Teresa's has been a great way for me to connect back to JPII's gift to the world. Theology of the Body is JPII's answer to how every person can live a joyful and satisfying life - it greatly encourages me with its uniquely rich message.

Just as Lent began, I saw my SD and he offered me an alternative perspective of looking at the three pillars of Lent: 

Alms-giving It's not just about helping the less fortunate with a monetary donation (which is good and right), but it's about giving time to those in need. To be there to listen, and appreciate the person for who he/she is, affirming the gift of his/her existence.   

Prayer is to be available. Lent is the time to be less in the world of more. To take time to reflect on how much Jesus loves us, and not just how much He suffered for us when we meditate on the way of the Cross, and to subsequently reflect this sacrificial love back to others. 

Fasting God is not a dietitian and while the practice of asceticism has its virtue (for if we can master our lust for food then we will probably be strong enough to withstand temptations of another kind), SD instead proposed to fast from activities that keep us busy and take us away from the presence of others. In this, he advised flexibility for success.

Assessing my efforts at the half-way mark, I feel I can do better. At the same time, I recognize that I am not doing too badly for I have been making a conscious effort to be present to God and others, and to give generously where needed.

As for my various lusts, I know I am protected if I seek to assuage my hunger and thirst by dining on living bread and water. I will not go "dumpster diving" out of desperation.

Thank God for Lenten disciplines and the opportunity to make it real.

No comments: