Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Turning back

Rend your hearts, not your garments. This particular sentence struck me this morning as I was reading Joel. This call to repentance reminds me Lent is not about an outward show of actions, but rather what I do when I pray, fast and give alms, that it's not about me feeling good that I have ticked the boxes of requisite Lenten acts, but that I come to a place within me that tears apart all pretence and pride that prevent me from walking closer with Jesus. 

Every day, I may fall short in my intentions to be good, I may indulge in the sins of harsh impatience and hatd indifference, or worse, I may be in a spiritual rut, but, today I choose to listen to His voice and I seek to root out and destroy the impurities in my heart. I pray that I will be given the strength and perserverance to walk the next 40 days of Lent, allowing Jesus to show me new joys and pleasures of my ongoing conversion.

A pure heart create for me, O God,
put a steadfast spirit within me.

No comments: