Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Fifteen years on

I still remember the look in your eyes
The incipient sadness, hinting of defeat
So unlike your usual cocky self
Full of fight and steely determination
Your will, slowly eaten away by the cancer
That wielded a catastrophic toll 
A shell of a body, loose skin and bone
With petrified lungs, voice silenced 
You sat, waiting for death to intervene
We stood, and watched the futile battle
Drowning in helpless rage and sorrow.
I am bereft once again today
What would I have done differently? 
Would I have dared to say I love you?
Told you how much I would miss you...pining for you
Time heals all wounds, they say - what a crock! 
We merely paint on masks to hide the
Unseemly cracks of a bleeding, broken heart
Bottling up acrid regrets and searing grief.
You would be happy today if you were here
Your deepest wish for me has been fulfilled
God heard your fervent prayer (He truly did)
I am sure you would have liked him immensely
Loved him, even, for making me incredibly happy
My only consolation for now is this:
We will meet, once again, in eternal life
Join together never to part again.
Till then, I thank you, for giving me life,
Your high cheekbones and righteous, generous heart
Happy birthday Daddy.


No comments: