Friday, July 31, 2015

Of fruit and providence

Did I write earlier that July has been a great month? Well, it is turning out to be one of the most challenging months of the year as well! But through the most gruelling moments I am thanking the Lord for loving me with such generosity. He has truly been showering me with blessings.

I am planning to be in Malta in September, as part of a celebration. My community, ICPE Mission, turns 30 this year, and Malta is where it all began. Initially I struggled with the decision for my financial situation was dismal. I get depressed whenever I think about it for it reflects my poor stewardship all these years, but that's another story.

The sensible thing to do is to skip it altogether, yes? I didn't really pray in earnest for I didn't want to hear a clear go for it from God. Then E messages me one day and asks me to pray about my decision. Long story short: the Father says go, I will provide. And He has.

First, the work came pouring in. I have never had such long work days and weeks but I am not complaining, just dog tired. Then He arranged for most of my accommodation there to be free. I even get to go on vacation after the meeting. What grace!

To show my gratitude, I have said yes to many things that require an ongoing committed and well orchestrated effort to weave the lives of many into my own walk of life. There have been celebrations, outreaches, ministries, sickness, death, loss... I am dead on my feet, in pain at times, but I have never felt more alive and fulfilled than these past weeks. There is great satisfaction in connecting with people in a meaningful way, bringing about positive change and helping them get closer to God.

During our last W2W Ministry meeting D shared about the fruit of the Spirit and it got me thinking how much am I known by the fruit I bear? Am I someone whom people identify with the fruit Saint Paul talks about to the Galatians*, namely love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control?

While there's always room for improvement, I'd like to think I have been producing a fair crop. However, I would like to keep increasing the yield - benefit more and more people. As D shared, the point of cultivating good fruit is so that others can enjoy. To keep the harvest plentiful, there are a number of ways, said D:

God's Word.  If we keep our hearts fertile and rich by delighting in the law as the psalmist recommends in Psalm 1, then we will be able to give glory to God and be a blessing to many.

Meditation.  It is vital to stop and chew on the Word, in order to digest it and internalize it. Meditation allows us to see our actions through God's eyes, and to acknowledge our own sins so as to purge them.

Spiritual discipline.  Abiding in the Lord is a decision and a discipline. We need to expose ourselves to anointed preaching be it at mass or attending talks frequently. We need to pray, worship, meditate on the Word, receive the sacraments regularly; take the time to focus on Jesus and know Him daily.

Obedience.  More than anything else, obedience to the will of God will get us where we want to go. Yielding our flesh to power of the Holy Spirit requires us to acknowledge Our Lord and Saviour in all areas of our lives, to know what actually is God's desire, then to remain faithful in the smallest things, especially when we find it most tedious. 

Through pruning. The only way fruit trees yield abundant crops of bigger, more delicious fruit is judicious pruning. Likewise we must endure the pain of cutting away the dead wood of faults, vanities and weak spots in ourselves.

I can't say I am unhappy to say goodbye to July, despite all the blessings it brought. I can only hope I bring my experiences into the next month and make wiser decisions, and sleep a little more. With that, time to sleep.

* Galatians 5:22-23

No comments: