Saturday, July 19, 2014

Making lemonade

The Christian vocation is all about knowing how to transform something unpalatable into something most refreshing, delicious and good for health. It's about learning how to make a sweet, tangy lemonade.

Life will undoubtedly serve up lemons from time to time, that is, something not desired, and even a fiendish challenge. The trick is to remain calm, even in a "fight" situation and handle the situation in a loving and wise manner.

Impossible you say? If you buy into an inflated sense of entitlement and concept of subjective justice, then yes. But if you keep your eyes on Jesus and channel Him, then you will become the master lemonade maker that He is.

A recent YouTube video on road rage and bullying in Kuantan, Malaysia is case in point. An old man bumped a new, expensive car of a young woman. She had a right to restitution, of course, but how she handled the situation was extreme.

She grabbed his steering wheel lock and used it to dent his car while screaming at him and hurling abuse. The man kept calm and kept trying to pacify her despite what she did to his car.

Wow. If it were me, I would not have been so gracious. And yet, we are all called to be that elderly gentleman who went on to forgive her when she apologized and requested that the police forget the matter. He did not press charges and has not asked for damages.

Some would say he's stupid for he was within his rights but he is my hero and future model in learning to live graciously and let live.

Lately I have been beset with problems at one of my workplaces. My frustration levels have been in overdrive and I have been sounding off about the cartloads of lemons I have received.

Since I began the process of cutting the lemons up and turning the juice into lemonade, I have also decided to stop being a complainer.

Some level of complaining is not unreasonable, but to keep wallowing in it raises my blood pressure and is counter-productive. I get negative and stay negative. Certainly not a place I wish to inhabit.

With the aid of constant prayer, I have sought to remain unaffected and professional, and not take a 'an eye for an eye' attitude. Quit whining and complaining. Add some sugar to tame the tartness.

As I believe in the best interests of my clients, I have gone ahead to minimize their risks even if it means exposing myself to more risk. For my interests, I have given God the reins.

It hasn't been easy but this has liberated me from worrying about whether I get paid my dues, and I have not allowed this issue to overshadow other areas of my life. Has not the Lord provided for me previously and most recently? So why doubt Him now?

Just as a good Christian is a joyous Christian, a good Christian should know how to deftly squeeze the lemons that life or others hand them, and make a great lemonade to share with others.

So all may receive a drink that quenches their souls and inspires health, joy and love.

No comments: