Sunday, June 15, 2014

Unitive majesty

It is the solemnity of the Most Holy Trinity and what caught my attention during mass this morning was when Father Arro proclaimed: undivided in unity, equal in majesty.

I am really glad that I believe in the Trinitarian God: God who is Father, Son and Holy Spirit. This mystery is truly central to my faith and my life for by virtue of being human, I am complex in thought and emotion. As such, God understands I need Him to be someone who can be everything to me in a way no man can. 
As a child I first understood God as Father, someone who loves and cares for me, his beloved child. He was always there for me, ready to forgive me when I erred, and who set me on the right path again if I strayed. He was my Good Shepherd.
He was also my Creator, the one who is the alpha and the omega, the transcendent and the immanent. Such a God is one who inspires awe and wonder, who is beyond my human understanding, and yet is someone I seek within my very heartbeat (even when I did not know it, or forgot this important fact).
I loved Him for loving me. I respected Him for being pure goodness and holy. I feared Him for when I committed sin or evil, I knew He knew. Nothing escapes Him.
In recent years, I have experienced much of His tenderness and faithfulness for He has been my provender (He is truly my portion and cup) and protector, and I never cease to be amazed at how much He loves me.
Then there is Jesus, God incarnate because the Father loved me enough to send me the gift of His son. Jesus is someone I only came to know fairly recently. As Saint Augustine famously wrote late have I loved Thee. I sometimes lament the lateness, but I rejoice that this is a relationship I will never take for granted ever for it is hard won.
I have come to know Jesus as brother, friend, lover and bridegroom. He affirms my womanhood and encourages my feminine genius. With Him, I feel like a beautiful woman, inside out, one who is treasured and loved completely. Even on my ugly and mean days, He never stops rooting for me, nudging me out of spiritual darkness and sadness. He makes me want to be a better person all the time. He inspires me for He stands on the side of good, and was willing to die that I may be saved. He is my knight in a shimmering armour of unconditional love.       
Best of all, what it says in Matthew 11:27 rings true for it is through Jesus, the Word, that I have come to know the Father even more. The plans God has for me to prosper me, have been revealed as I walk with Jesus by my side, hand in hand. His humanity channels his divinity.
When it comes to the Holy Spirit, it has been like a treasure hunt. Even though I was sealed with the gift of the Holy Spirit during the Sacrament of Confirmation and was sent forth then to be witness, I sadly ignored the graces of this gift, frittering them away. Thus, the gifts (see 1 Corinthians 12:7-11) and the fruits (Galatians 5:22) of the Spirit were lost or hidden from me.
I did not acknowledge how awesome a person He can be (He is not called Great Counsellor for nothing), and how He came so that I may always be guided and taught in truth. Through the Holy Spirit, I have since come to understand the gifts of my baptism and my life more fully. I have discovered the gifts and fruits that He has blessed me with and learned how to put them to good effect.
If I want to grow in virtue, to become the person I was created to be, He is the one who can help me. If I wish to be as holy as the disciples and saints of the past, He is key to my becoming a Kingdom builder - my path to happiness through goodness. And through Him, Father and Son can be further revealed in greater glory. As Pope Francis puts it:

The Holy Spirit, gift of the risen Jesus, communicates the divine life to us and thus he draws us into the dynamism of the Trinity, which is a dynamism of love, communion, mutual service, sharing.  
Thank you, Father, Son and Holy Spirit for gracing my life, and for revealing your Trinitarian majesty to me. Without you, my life would be pallid and one-dimensional.

No comments: