Saturday, June 07, 2014

Bringing vacation home

Although I have been back from Honolulu for almost three weeks, my body has not fully adjusted to the time change (yes, I am a poor traveller for I never really adjusted to Honolulu time well only to come home and face the same problem here). Result: I am absolutely knackered by 9:00pm.

While I have thrown myself into life quite enthusiastically, it has been full of challenges lately, and it has been quite stressful consequently. I have also fallen sick, and had to deal with a wisdom tooth inflammation which has proven quite painful (I now understand what it means to be driven crazy by pain) for I have opted to let my body heal on its own, sans drugs. So it's been a slow and agonizing process.

Despite all my recent woes, I have been able to keep my head above water and function without turning into a blubbering, hot mess or a vengeful harridan blaming the world for all my problems. The glow of my vacation has not worn off.

Three things have helped me. The first is that I have tried to maintain the disciplines of prayer I began in Hawaii and although not exactly successful, the effects of being so Christ-focused on vacation have spilled over into life, post-vacation. Being Christ-centred has become an even stronger habit with many attendant graces.

I have not fallen into despair. I am more positive. I am filled with joy even as I am frustrated at certain situations or with various people. I love and truly enjoy what I do and I have been gratified with happy, satisfied clients. I am grateful for my life and I can taste life in all its different flavours and textures with greedy gusto.

I am not worried and I can sleep in peace knowing He will take care of me as He has always done, with generosity and gentleness. I can let go and forgive all the bad things. I am happy to be me, creaky bones, aching muscles, saggy flesh and all.

The second thing that has helped me through this trying period is taking accountability for my own health. I have refused to give in to the perimenopausal hormonal craziness and am experimenting with all kinds of supplements, and get-fit rituals to help me through this physically life-altering transition of life.

I went on this health bid while on vacation and seem to have hit on a pretty good combination for the hot flashes are minimal again and I have not been an emotional wreck. I can sleep. Best of all, the belly has even subsided and I do not feel so ungainly.

Finally, I received a gift from the islands that I carry within my heart, one I cherish greatly and refuse to forget, this time. The gift is the hearts of the people who live in Hawaii. It is the unmistakable yet indefinable spirit of aloha that lives in those who are born there and infects those who choose to make their home there.

It is in the warm hospitality of strangers who treat you like a long-lost friend. It is the generosity and passion of people who give back what they have received, committed to spreading the love around. It is this common decency and common courtesy, both no longer so common, that I experienced in abundance.

I was charmed by the goodness of the people I met and I fell in love all over again. I resolved to import the aloha spirit, bring it home with me, for I want to live graciously not just when I am there, but wherever I am. Thus, I have tried to be more patient, more reasonable, more personable, friendly, open and more laid back upon my return.

Guess what, I have found some really nice and friendly people living in Singapore. This proves to me that I can be the change I want to see. So now, when I meet rude, obnoxious, impatient people, I don't bristle so quickly in reaction, but I try to see if I can change how I view them by changing how I behave toward them. Stay gracious, no matter what. This has led to pleasant surprises (the grouchy, unfriendly fruit stall uncle can actually be nice) and I feel that the world around me has become a friendlier, cosier place lately.

Life will continue to be filled with problems and challenges, but there will always be blessings and gifts that demonstrate the love of God as well. His grace is enough to keep me happy and humming, despite the stumbling blocks.

Thank you, Lord, for the gift of aloha for it is your Spirit that animates and leads, no matter where I am, at home or abroad.

Halau Mele dancers celebrating the Huli Kauwela, Changing of the Seasons

No comments: