Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Touch stories

Last Sunday Father Romeo talked about the significance of touch in his homily on the haemorrhagic woman and the raising of Jairus’s 12 year old daughter as both were healed with a touch.

As touch is my love language (see Gary Chapman ‘s The Five Love Languages), his homily spoke volumes to me.

While I do experience love in other ways, the one that speaks to me most is touch - I feel especially loved when my godkids plant unabashed, wet kisses on my face and give me bear hugs.

More recently I have learned to treasure the intimate touch of Jesus' hands on my heart. As I touch "the fringe of his being in prayer" (see Peter Kreeft's Lesson One in Prayer), I am given more hope for He loves me because of my foolishness ad foibles, more faith for He shows me how joyous goodness can be, and more love as He transforms my heart with forgiveness and uncommon courage.

One touch and I am healed.
The pain disappears in seconds
My wound stops weeping blood
I am clean. He makes me whole again.

One touch and I awake.
A death-like sleep has lost its hold
My head is clear and I am hungry
He calls, and I respond with joy.

One touch and I am restored.
The world is bathed in roseate light
My heart sings songs of life and love
He crowns my head with jasmine sweet.

No comments: