Sunday, December 25, 2011

Celebrating Christ's mass

I have been feeling empty, restless and most un-Christmassy these last few days. Partly due to the fact I am recovering from flu and the lack of sleep for two weeks, and partly because I have not devoted any quiet time to God.

It's so easy to get distracted by technology and TV, especially because I have not had Internet or phone access for 10 days. But these diversions do not fill me up and the song I sang at the MSSP Christmas celebration which is based on Saint Augustine's Confessions has come to my mind:

"And I'm restless, I'm restless, 'til I rest in You, 'til I rest in You... You are the keeper of my heart..."

It was a call to communion that went unheeded by me for reverse carolling was such a profound experience that I needed time away from it, time to let it sit in a corner quietly.

It was only at mass this morning that I was ready to ask questions about the emptiness in my heart and this is my conclusion:

The emptiness was necessary for me to allow Jesus to be born inside today. To experience the hope and joy of His birth in the wake of deep sadness felt at the abject poverty I had recently witnessed. And to realize that no matter how dark the world may be, there is a light shining, all because we were gifted with the birth of a child.

The words of Isaiah 9:6 came alive today:

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace."

Come let us adore Him. 

No comments: