Sunday, September 04, 2011

Judgement calls

In today's readings we are called to speak truth into the lives of those around us, to point out their sins, for if we do not, then we will be held "accountable for their blood".

Yet we are also reminded that love is the driving force behind all the commandments and that we should nurture a love of neighbours.

A tall order for to be humbly righteous without being judgemental, truthful yet lovingly so and on top of that, to know when exactly to voice your opinion is mighty tough.

I grew up in a family of opinionated and legalistic people so to pass judgement on others is a skill that comes only too naturally to me.

On the positive side, I do have a fairly well-developed sense of right and wrong and given that I am aware of my judgemental streak, I do manage to actively censor the worst of the highly critical comments that pop into my head unbidden.

What I find humbling and highly amusing (yup, it's confirmed, He does have a bona fide sense of humour) is when I get outraged at how others behave and I turn the situation around in my mind, He often reveals to me a situation in which I have behaved in exactly the same manner.

Who am I to cast the first stone?

What I have learnt this year is that we should never judge people, just their actions. And even in this regard, we need to look a little deeper at the person's intent to make a more accurate assessment of any given situation.

The standing joke in class when we are asked to judge a situation is that the only answer we should give is, "It depends".

Plus the only conscience we need worry about (as Father David pointed out so fittingly) is our own, and that alone will keep us fully occupied for our own redemption depends on our choices in life, and you can bet your life that we will screw up no matter how "good" we are.

Having said all that, there are universal principles that govern morality: what is right and what is wrong and often we are reticent in proclaiming our belief in these principles for fear of being thought a persnickety prude. I know I am often guilty of keeping silent because of this.

It takes prudence and guts to be able to tell it like it is, yet do it in such a way that the other person is receptive to the message.

As Saint Paul said to the Romans, "Love is the fulfilling of the law", so love is supreme. This means being open to the movements of the Spirit and to let that be the guide for Jesus is always loving and never manipulative (as humans can be).

Being a good Christian is not about being popular or nice, it's about being loving, and that sometimes involves being a "watchman" or a party pooper prophet.

In order to make the right judgement call, we need to grow in wisdom, and the best place to start is with "fear of the Lord". (Proverbs 1:7a)

No comments: