Friday, July 29, 2011

Covenant and blessing

Baby bro and I were chatting and he doesn't believe in marriage, hardly surprising for it is a belief shared by more and more people the world over.

Living together seems to be the simpler and more sincere option given how many marriages end in divorce.

While I have always believed in the sanctity of marital vows, I do question if it's worth the effort to try and find someone, given the disposable mind-set of most people today.

Plus, is it possible to find someone who takes commitment seriously and sees it as freedom-giving, rather than freedom-constricting?

Someone who sees that men and women are created for union - a permanent union where vows are exchanged to seal the relationship in a special way that speaks of undying, unconditional love, the commitment of fidelity and the blessing of fruitfulness.

The marital covenant is still something men and women seek (if we are truly honest with each other) for we all want a special someone who will love us and be there for us through good and bad times.

Living together does not cut it even though it may look attractive, for there is always the unspoken rule that either party could walk, and without the formality of a covenant, there is less push to make it work when things go south (which they will for there will be peaks and troughs in any relationship).

The marital covenant is there to remind us to become better people, to not be quitters in life. It also requires work which is the sticking point for most couples today who want all of the pleasure and none of the pain. Or who walk into marriage with unrealistic and selfish expectations.

As both baby bro and I have been in relationships where we thought we had found The One only to be disappointed, both he and I are battle-scarred cautious when it comes to love, and not a little cynical.

Are there any good men, or good women left in the world?

I have begun to view singlehood as my penultimate state of life for I am comfortable and fulfilled where I am and I view “relationships” are a dark, cold chasm I am unwilling to venture down even though deep within my heart there is a place where the marriage light shines feebly.

The risk of getting my heart broken again just seems unattractive and most unwise.

Last night we were discussing Abraham and I have always thought he was the model of faithfulness until Jeff Cavins* pointed out instances where even Abraham showed that he did not completely trust God.

Abraham had his own insurance policies in the form of Lot and Hagar for he could not quite believe the blessings of fruitfulness God wished to bestow on him.

In many ways I am like Abraham, I cannot quite believe the blessings that are mine and I do not act in ways that would demonstrate I am indeed open to the blessings.

To walk by faith is an unending series of actions that require conscious thought and effort and there are days where I'd rather coast or backslide. Mediocrity and complacency are my insurance policies (sadly enough).

My one hope is that like Abraham I may stumble, but I will also keep growing in faith to the point where I trust completely that He will provide and be willing to be open to God in all areas of my life whether it be love life or vocation.

Life is indeed an adventure with many twists and turns but how I advance is up to me. I can keep going back to the start, as Abraham did initially, or I can finally let go and let God and journey towards claiming my blessing.

Hopefully I get there sooner than Abraham did.

* I am doing Jeff Cavins' The Bible Timeline which is a wonderful way to get acquainted with the Bible.

No comments: