Sunday, July 10, 2011

Multiplication miracle

J and N got married yesterday and it was a beautiful and unique wedding. Both bride and groom stamped their personalities on the celebration and it was irrepressibly joyous and a gorgeous image of God's love in the couple's very human quirkiness.

One thing that really stood out for me was how central God was in their lives and therefore every part of the wedding ceremony was special: they had a network of like-minded friends and relatives who volunteered their services to bring the wedding mass to life – from the witnessing priest down to the altar boys, no one who participated in the mass was a stranger.

It was a true community effort. The Gospel reading they chose was the theme of their journey that finally culminated in yesterday's nuptial celebration: the miracle of five loaves and two fishes.

God has truly been a God of surprises in their relationship and it’s been a joy for me to witness the delightful surprises He has sprung on them along the way, mainly because they have both surrendered their relationship to Him.

Father David in his homily spoke of how significant decisions like the decision to marry are bigger than all of us (even if we think that decisions that we make are a private matter between God and us) for we are all connected in some way, chiefly we all have the same Maker and He has created us for one purpose only: “God himself is an eternal exchange of love, Father Son, and Holy Spirit, and he has destined us to share in that exchange.” (CCC221*)  

We are invited to participate in God’s ultimate plan of love and marriage is one of the ways we can flesh out this invitation on earth.

For J and N, yesterday marks the first day of that plan as they become for the other the means by which they get to heaven as they bless each other with their committed and sustained fidelity and sanctify each other with a love that is naked without shame. 

I recently remarked to my cousin that I did not know what plans God had for me for He has recently revealed possibilities that were pretty disparate. Despite my human need for clarity, I know that I must be open to surprise, that is, like J and N, be open to God’s direction in my life and to also be open to His timeframe.

Father Arro today commented that if we do not let God’s Word germinate in us, watering it with silence and a listening heart, then we will not be able to see the blossoms of surprises that God has in store for us.

We will constantly miss the opportunities to see the multiplication of loaves and fishes in our own lives if we do not let go of our own fears, wounds and distorted perceptions; and if we persist in tunnel vision or a mindset that eschews change.

We will turn our back on miracles that “will prosper” (Jeremiah 29:11) us.
My sincere wish for J and N is that they will continue to experience much joy in being gift to each other and that they will witness as many miracles of grace that God chooses to bestow on them.

As for myself, I will continue to "groan inwardly"(Romans 8:22-23) with my need to cultivate humility and patience, and hope that I will see the miracle of multiplication in my life no matter what happens.

*Catechism of the Catholic Church

1 comment:

Wordknight Nellie Har said...

I love your description and the term you used "a God of surprises" - Amen! Indeed, our Amazing God ! God of surprises! God of miracles!But all too often we get so caught up in our human pursuits, we begin to agonize, yearn and pray unceasingly for God to work a miracle in our life that'll fulfil our longing. I remember I was on that road until one day I believe I heard God whisper in my ear: "Don't you realize you are my best miracle. So stop looking left and right for miracles - look within you for you are my best miracle and I've not finished with you yet. The best is yet to be, remember you are my best miracle."