Sunday, July 06, 2008

Panic pill

I am in panic mode. I took on a huge writing project which I have to see to final proof stage by July 21st, when I leave for Melbourne.

Right now, work has barely begun and the sheer volume of what lies ahead scares me for I am afraid I will not be up to the task and do a good job by the looming deadline.

Doubts and fears all crowd together within me, causing panic. Why did I take this on? Was I too greedy? Why am I so unrealistic about what I can and cannot do?

Today, I even struggled with going for mass – for I was strongly inclined to drop everything, even my precious time with God, in order to tackle the work.

I am glad I didn’t for the entire Eucharistic celebration was God’s assurance that His grace will see me through.

From the comforting notes of “Be not afraid, I go before you always...” to the readings where Paul reminds to walk in the Spirit which is mightily powerful, and where Jesus reassures us that He will carry our burdens: “Come to me, all you who work hard and who carry heavy burdens and I will refresh you”.

And so I laid my burden of fear at His feet and claimed His promise to refresh me. As we sang the recessional hymn, I received one final reassurance from Him:

“We will run and not grow weary, for our God will be our strength, and we will fly like an eagle, we will rise again.”

There’s much to be said for spiritual panic pills.

No comments: