Sunday, June 08, 2008

The simple life

I've been enjoying a lull in my teaching hours for it's the June hols and many clients with kids have gone away.

While it's a little worrying for income is taking a dip, I'm also glad for the chance to spring-clean and chuck things that are no longer relevant or necessary in my life. (I also get to spend more time with Mum and cook more which are good things.)

It's mentally very empowering although the sentimental streak in me does mourn the departure of some article of clothing or a treasured book that has given me much pleasure in the past.

I've grown quite merciless in getting rid of stuff for there is just too much clutter from my past lives and my environs must now keep pace with my outlook on life, which has been for the last several years to simplify.

Just looking at the amount of junk I've acquired through the years, I marvel that I do not need or crave for 'things' like I used to.

I suppose it helps when I've been there, done that and do not need to buy that bag just because it's so me and too simply to-die-for.

I've also come to the conclusion ("Finally!" my mum would exclaim - if you saw the amount of stuff I have you would understand where she is coming from) that happiness does not lie in acquiring or possessing material things or wealth.

And, there are other means of getting a buzz besides retail therapy.

Anthony Bourdain maintains that the poorer the country, the more inventive and delicious tasting the cuisine. From basic and usually discarded ingredients, a wonderful meal can be conjured.

So living a material-poor life does not mean I get any less pleasure out of life but rather I am more appreciative of what I already have, and I enjoy exercising my creative juices in gaining maximum output for minimum financial investment.

And yes, I've even created some simple, nutritious and delicious meals for two that cost under $5. While Bourdain may not concur on the latter description, he would have to concede on the former two.

As the psalmist proclaims in Psalm 4: "You, O Lord, have put joy in my heart; more than by giving me wine or food."

So with joy in my heart, I go back to pruning the excesses of my past.

No comments: