Thursday, June 19, 2008

Child's play

Last Sunday I took B-boy to visit my father at the columbarium as it was Fathers' Day and I wanted to wish my father.

As we stopped at the niche where my dad's ashes were, I said, "Hi Dad, Happy Fathers' Day" earning me a look from the five-year-old who clearly thought there was something wrong with his aunt who spoke to a photograph in the wall, but was too polite to say so. Good training, A.

I then proceeded to take him to visit my grandparents and aunt who were a wall away. As I pointed out the people I knew and told him stories of how some of them died, what they did, he soon thought I knew every soul in the columbarium.

He started asking me about other strangers "Who's this?" Running ahead and pointing to a niche "What happened to this person?" I had to spoil the excellent impression I had made on him by admitting "I don't know". Darn!

A child like B-boy readily accepts the authority of an adult for he thinks all adults are there to teach him about the world, not realizing that adults have much to learn from him.

How to be naive, innocent, to trust that the world is a safe and wondrous place, put there solely for his or her enjoyment and pleasure.

How to explore life with no fear, pushing the boundaries, testing limits to gain a better understanding of how the world works.

How to play. Be creative. Let the imagination roam free.

Believe that there is something, someone greater out there to be acknowledged and appreciated every day.

So, for a moment, stop being the responsibility-loaded adult you are and become a child again.

And play!

No comments: