Friday, May 18, 2007

Mother's Day

Bleeding Heart or Mary's Heart

The month of May has been designated the Marian month by Pope Benedict XVI as Mary is the “Mother who accompanies the community of disciples united in prayer in expectation of the Holy Spirit”. It is fitting for Pentecost falls within May this year, as does Mother’s Day which is the second Sunday of May.

When I look at my mother, I see a lot of what I imagine Mother Mary to be like: faithful, patient, courageous, persevering, gentle, compassionate and full of deep inner strength. Both are women I love dearly and seek to emulate for they represent the full-blown maturity of womanhood, a maturity refined by suffering and steeped in wisdom. Undefeated by darkness, they exude a luminous joy that touches all who come into contact with them.

Mum just underwent her second cataract operation last week. I am glad things went smoothly and she is recovering nicely. As she is 74, I was a little apprehensive on the day of the operation and had activated an international prayer network. (Thanks to all who prayed for the success of the operation. Much appreciated.)

Any visit to the hospital reminds me of the fragility of life. And I am increasingly mindful of the time that we have left together and know how blessed I am to have her as my constant companion. Eating, laughing, talking, living together in harmony, we bear witness to each other’s joys and struggles in the humdrum rhythm of days measured out in talk shows and K-dramas. Likewise, Mother Mary accompanies me as I traverse the peaks and valleys. I draw inspiration from her fiat*, especially when I hit a dark and torturous valley.

So do I need a day specially set aside to thank them for who they are and what they have brought to my life? No. Instead, I thank them every day, in numerous small ways, by reflecting the love and joy of the Lord I see shining in their eyes.
 
 
* "I am the handmaid of the Lord, be it done unto me according to Thy word." Luke 1:38

No comments: